Old 03-11-2003, 11:04 PM
will

Default pumpkin, squash and gourd seeds (coming true)

Happened to be in Kew on Sunday when they were flogging all the
multi-coloured pumpkins, squashes, gourds etc that were in their Autumn
displays. Will be eating them for weeks.

I assume that the seeds will all come true if I plant them next year. Or am
I being foolishly naive?

Any tips would be very welcome.

will

Old 03-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Gary Woods

"will" wrote:

I assume that the seeds will all come true if I plant them next year. Or am
I being foolishly naive?

Well, they don't (always) cross between branches of famiglia cucurbita, but
within their own, well let's say "easy virtue" is an understatement. If
this weren't the polite and refined newsgroup we love, I'd go for "wantonly
licentious hedonists." Chances is that the seeds will produce interesting
offspring. I could tell you tales of an apparently demure spaghetti squash
plant for instance...

Old 04-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:52:55 -0000, will wrote:

Happened to be in Kew on Sunday when they were flogging all the
multi-coloured pumpkins, squashes, gourds etc that were in their Autumn
displays. Will be eating them for weeks.

I assume that the seeds will all come true if I plant them next year. Or am
I being foolishly naive?

You are being foolishly naive. I was just reading "Plant
Breeding" the other day, by Bailey and Gilbert, ca. 1914, and in
it they mention hybrids between squashes and gourds. The taste
was something truly dire, it appears, even when the plants
*looked* like squashes.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 04-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Pam Moore

wrote:

I assume that the seeds will all come true if I plant them next year. Or am
I being foolishly naive?

You might have seen my post a couple of months ago about my "Pumpows"
which were supposed to be pumpkins grown from last year's saved seed,
which were orange but marrow shaped. Tasty but no good for
Hallowe'en.
I now know they will cross but if you are not after a specific thing
you could have some interesting specimens.

Pam in Bristol