Old 04-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Kay Easton

Default Land of shadow?

In article . 6,
Victoria Clare writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes
I've got a largish area of my garden that gets about 6-8 hours sun in
the summer (mornings and afternoons/evenings with a shady time around
noon) and from now till the spring will be covered with a shadow of
gloom.

(My garden is on the north side of a hill, and my house faces North,
casting a long shadow over this area)

Is it in 'full sun', 'part shade', or 'shade'? I can't decide!

Not 'full sun' because most things that want that also want the free
draining soil.

Well, that bit is pretty free-draining, because it's terraced above a dry
stone wall, and the soil is very nearly just gravel. It's a bit dry for
ferns in the summer, except right along the wall where there is less sun.

very different from my soil, then! Mine is permanently moist clay.
Ignore all my recommendations!

What about the spleenworts and wall rue and the various other ferns that
grow on walls and cliffs? They might be worth a try.

Euphorbia myrsinites? Will tolerate a bit of shade if it's reasonably
well draining, but would be best not too close to the house.

It rains /fogs a lot here, but the water doesn't tend to hang around in
sogs like it does on clay. It just runs off and down the hill to the river
in a myriad tiny streams.

Veronica is a nice idea, if it can take the sun in the summer.

No idea! Mine gets sun in summer (morning and evening, like you) but
doesn't dry out.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: