Old 04-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Vox Humana

Default Banana Tree Question

"Stan" wrote in message
Frost is due this weekend in S.W. Missouri.
I have about 30 banana trees out.
Should I let the frost hit them and then dig them,
or dig them before the frost?
The winters are too cold here to cut them off
and leave them in the ground.
Besides I would like too save them and have bigger trees
to start with next year.
Any help on storing will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

I have been growing some miniature bananas in pots for several years. It is
my experience that when I bring them inside, the top eventually dies back.
The next spring new plants come from the base. I would think that unless
you have a greenhouse, they won't survive as-is but will start over next
year. Your thirty trees will turn into 100 next year as each tree will put
out several new ones.