Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Stan

Default Banana Tree Question

Frost is due this weekend in S.W. Missouri.
I have about 30 banana trees out.
Should I let the frost hit them and then dig them,
or dig them before the frost?
The winters are too cold here to cut them off
and leave them in the ground.
Besides I would like too save them and have bigger trees
to start with next year.
Any help on storing will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

Old 04-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Stan" wrote in message
Frost is due this weekend in S.W. Missouri.
I have about 30 banana trees out.
Should I let the frost hit them and then dig them,
or dig them before the frost?
The winters are too cold here to cut them off
and leave them in the ground.
Besides I would like too save them and have bigger trees
to start with next year.
Any help on storing will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

Try this:
http://www.urbanjungle.uk.com/bananas.asp

FYI, darn near anything you want to know about raising and overwintering
tropicals can be found with a simple Google search - I don't even grow the
damn things and I found this link in about 30 seconds.......

Old 04-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Vox Humana

"Stan" wrote in message
Frost is due this weekend in S.W. Missouri.
I have about 30 banana trees out.
Should I let the frost hit them and then dig them,
or dig them before the frost?
The winters are too cold here to cut them off
and leave them in the ground.
Besides I would like too save them and have bigger trees
to start with next year.
Any help on storing will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

I have been growing some miniature bananas in pots for several years. It is
my experience that when I bring them inside, the top eventually dies back.
The next spring new plants come from the base. I would think that unless
you have a greenhouse, they won't survive as-is but will start over next
year. Your thirty trees will turn into 100 next year as each tree will put
out several new ones.

Old 05-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Lee

"Stan" wrote in message ...
Frost is due this weekend in S.W. Missouri.
I have about 30 banana trees out.
Should I let the frost hit them and then dig them,
or dig them before the frost?
The winters are too cold here to cut them off
and leave them in the ground.
Besides I would like too save them and have bigger trees
to start with next year.
Any help on storing will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

my neighbor down the block has a half dozen or so banana trees and
last week she cut them down as she will take them up an store roots in
garage. (zone 7)
she will water them lightly once in a while.. just moist.. then put
them back out in the spring after last frost.

she gave me one this summer and it already has two babies. she said
that some in this zone just cut them back and mulch them heavily.

i think i will cut before frost, put in garage which is kept at least
55 degrees F. as i want to plant them at another location come spring.
lee h.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:12 AM
V_coerulea

While I think Pam is right on the general idea of Google searches, there are
also novel approaches or localized approaches that don't get much publicity
for one reasonn or another.
I live in SC which many people mistakenly associate with Florida or similiar
climate. While our summers are hot and humid, our winters can be
unpredictable and bitterly cold for short periods. Here in southern SC, the
cold is generally not severe - but for bananas it is. Many bananas will
overwinter in the ground here, but the tops will be killed without a lot of
protection. I have a greenhouse but have some neighbors who don't. They have
successfully grown the plants in the ground, dug the root ball cutting back
the leafy part of the leaves, and stored the plant in the crawl space under
the house with a plastic cover. Here a blocked in crawl space never freezes.
In Missouri you might need a little more protection. In spring, plant them
back out.
It might be worth a try depending on your situation.
Gary

"Stan" wrote in message
Frost is due this weekend in S.W. Missouri.
I have about 30 banana trees out.
Should I let the frost hit them and then dig them,
or dig them before the frost?
The winters are too cold here to cut them off
and leave them in the ground.
Besides I would like too save them and have bigger trees
to start with next year.
Any help on storing will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Stan

[IMG] code is On

Ornamental Banana Tree Question. Ralph D. Gardening 0 26-05-2006 04:53 PM
Banana Tree Question Charles Gardening 6 14-02-2004 07:02 PM
Banana Tree Question Charles Gardening 0 01-12-2003 03:28 AM
Banana Tree Question Stan Lawns 0 23-10-2003 01:02 AM
It germinated! (Banana, that is!) Also pumpkin question Darkginger United Kingdom 6 18-07-2003 03:44 AM