Old 04-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Jane VR

Default Getting rid of comfrey

Andrew G wrote:
"Jeremy Lunn" wrote in message

Used to keep a few pots under a tree some 10 or more years ago. In one
pot we had comfrey which managed to escape from the pot. Now the tree
no longer exists and it's a garden bed and it seems just about
impossible to get rid of the stuff!

It's so deep rooted that it's just about impossible to dig it out. I
tried that 7 years ago when we were landscaping the area into a garden
bed. Any small bit of root that breaks off just spouts and if left
grows into a whole new clump so digging it out can perhaps be
counterproductive.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking that some systematic herbicide might be
the answer. I tried some once with no effect so I'm guessing that I may
need to do a stronger mix. Perhaps the same concentrate as used for
bamboo?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I'd be going with Normans Idea of Blackberry and tree killer.
Not sure on the effects to the surrounding garden, something you would have
to read about on the directions.
But before that you could try glphosate in full strength, not mixed with any
water and paint it straight on, or "wound" the plant and paint it in the
cuts.
Good luck

Undiluted glyphosate has worked for me.

Jane