Old 05-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Bill

Default My Veggie Garden

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:00:11 +0000, Kane wrote:

www.myveggiegarden.com

I notice that you advise against adding either human or animal feces to a
compost pile, citing disease as your reason. Where, oh where, did you get
that information?

Farmers have been safely using both sorts of manure for centuries. FYI,
humans ARE animals ... and they give off an especially rich manure that is
generally mixed with drinking water and discarded in a nearby body of
recreational water after cursory treatment.

At least the farmers used to apply it to the fields, till it in and
recycle the nutrients the animals were finished using.

I think that, if you were to google for "humanure" and read through that
excellent and comprehensive discussion of the topic presented there, you
would strike that prohibition against feces.

Even if you don't, I will. Folks ... manure from large animals, even those that
shave regularly, is okay in compost piles provided a short list of
conditions are met:

1) keep the fresh manure covered with a layer of sawdust or leaves to trap
odors

2) if you compost using hot methods, allow for a one year cycle.

3) if you compost using cold methods, allow for a three year cycle.

4) if you follow this procedure in the city, don't tell anyone ... the
world is full of fecophobes.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that prohibition (red letters, no
less!) has exactly no foundation in fact.

Bill