Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Victoria Clare

Default preparation of ground for shed

Last weekend we tore down the remains of our old garden shed, which was
slowly rotting from the bottom up.

I now have to prepare space for the new shed. The old shed was placed on
top of a number of breezeblocks, spaced out, and with strips of lino on the
top. I think some cement powder had also been mixed with the soil, though
any coherence it had is long gone and it's now just a powdery layer a few
centimeters down.

I deduce from the fact that the bottom of our old shed rotted first that
simply balancing it on breeze blocks was not the best approach (though to
be fair, I don't know how old the shed was, and it had been neglected for
some time before we moved in.) What would be a better way?

I have a bunch of 2x2 paving slabs I could lay - would that be appropriate?
And can I just stick them down on the gravel* then bung the shed on top, or
would it be better to mortar them as well?

Victoria

* all our soil is gravel. This bit just doesn't have much topsoil on top.

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall