Old 07-11-2003, 04:33 PM
jane

Default Cobea Scandens

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:24:27 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

~My Cobea Scandens (cup and saucer plant) was just about to flower when the
~cold weather arrived. It seems to have stopped growing now although the
~frosts don't appear to have damaged it in any permanent way. Is it likely to
~survive the winter here in Cheshire? If so, should it be cut back or just
~left running rampant through the hedge?

no chance I'm afraid - I had some just starting to flower a couple of
years ago when the frosts hit... they turned to mush quite fast. It's
recommended starting them off sometime in early Feb so that there is
half a chance of them coming into flower... or keep them in a
conservatory and get ready for the quatermass vine :-)

Dad tries to grow them every year and he's getting earlier and
earlier... still the best we've done is a couple of weeks of flowers.

--
jane

Mark Twain