Old 08-11-2003, 01:13 PM
John Towill

Default Compost bin modification

Snip
Martin Sykes wrote:
I've just got my new free compost bin from the local council and

noticed
it's got a couple of what appear to be air holes in the side. I had

been
thinking about making a similar modification to my two Sankey compost

bins
which are pretty much air-tight.

Is it worth doing or will it cause problems? If it is worth doing, how

many
holes would be best?

Snip

I have two plastic compost bins which were holeless. After reading comments
on this page I decided to conduct an experiment.
I heated a metal rod and burnt a spiral (this way the hole perimeters are
well sealed and will not split) of holes around one of the bins.
Since then I have tried to treat both bins equally to see which composted
best. To be honest there seems insufficient difference to measure.
Cheers
John T