Old 07-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Compost bin modification

I've just got my new free compost bin from the local council and noticed
it's got a couple of what appear to be air holes in the side. I had been
thinking about making a similar modification to my two Sankey compost bins
which are pretty much air-tight.

Is it worth doing or will it cause problems? If it is worth doing, how many
holes would be best?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 07-11-2003, 09:43 AM
bigboard

Martin Sykes wrote:
I've just got my new free compost bin from the local council and noticed
it's got a couple of what appear to be air holes in the side. I had been
thinking about making a similar modification to my two Sankey compost bins
which are pretty much air-tight.

Is it worth doing or will it cause problems? If it is worth doing, how many
holes would be best?

I wouldn't have thought it was worth bothering with. I doubt it will
improve heap aeration much if at all, and will only really contribute to
drying the heap out. I'd leave them as they are.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Martin Sykes

"Kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Which council supplied the bin & how did you apply for it?
thanks kenty

Vale Royal in Cheshire. it was an incentive to return their recycling
questionaire promptly. The first 1000 replies got a free compost bin.

Apparrently WRAP ( The waste resources action program is giveing away 250000
bins this year and the info is somewhere on their site ( link below ) but I
had a quick look and couldn't find it.

http://www.wrap.org.uk

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 08-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Martin Sykes

"Kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Which council supplied the bin & how did you apply for it?
thanks kenty

Did a quick search and also found this link offering free compost bins. I
don't know anything about them though although as far as I can see, the
worst that would happen is you'd end up on a mailing list.

http://www.compost-it.org.uk/scheme/compost_bin.htm

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 08-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Martin Sykes

Just noticed, it's for Lancashire only.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 08-11-2003, 09:43 AM

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
: Just noticed, it's for Lancashire only.
:
: --
: Martin & Anna Sykes
: ( Remove x's when replying )
:
:
I believe a lot of councils have done this at one time or another. Ours -
Richmond upon Thames - certainly has. I think they now charge us 10 UKP.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Robert

: I've just got my new free compost bin from the local council and
: noticed it's got a couple of what appear to be air holes in the side.
: I had been thinking about making a similar modification to my two
: Sankey compost bins which are pretty much air-tight.
:
: Is it worth doing or will it cause problems? If it is worth doing,
: how many holes would be best?

My bins are airtight too but I don't think it's a good idea as the only way
it can rot properly is if it has air

Old 08-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
I've just got my new free compost bin from the local council and noticed
it's got a couple of what appear to be air holes in the side. I had been
thinking about making a similar modification to my two Sankey compost bins
which are pretty much air-tight.

Is it worth doing or will it cause problems? If it is worth doing, how many
holes would be best?

It makes sense to turn your compost - to get air to it. So it makes
sense to put holes in your bin.
Make the holes at regular intervals, in a spiral, down the bin, one on
either side. You can then shove a rod through each pair to create air
passages through the whole heap. If you make the holes larger than the
rods, you can also wiggle the rods to give a bit of a mixing action to
the compost
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 08-11-2003, 01:13 PM
John Towill

Snip
Martin Sykes wrote:
I've just got my new free compost bin from the local council and

noticed
it's got a couple of what appear to be air holes in the side. I had

been
thinking about making a similar modification to my two Sankey compost

bins
which are pretty much air-tight.

Is it worth doing or will it cause problems? If it is worth doing, how

many
holes would be best?

Snip

I have two plastic compost bins which were holeless. After reading comments
on this page I decided to conduct an experiment.
I heated a metal rod and burnt a spiral (this way the hole perimeters are
well sealed and will not split) of holes around one of the bins.
Since then I have tried to treat both bins equally to see which composted
best. To be honest there seems insufficient difference to measure.
Cheers
John T