Old 09-11-2003, 08:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Water TEmp Question

But BV after only a year can you really say, "I have not seen
empirical evidence supporting either argument." ? ;o)

What has been found is that those in colder zones 7 and less that keep
their ponds running full blast all winter have had fish deaths in the
spring to early summer. Some folks think that they've had no problems
because the fish didn't die during the winter, when the proof of the
pudding is having ALL fish survive by summer.... crossing successfully over
aeromonas alley. ~ jan

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:02:50 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
It seems that this is a hotly contested topic. At least it was last fall
when I joined the group. OMIGOD, I've been here a year now! Yeeha. Anyway,
there are two crowds of IMRIGHTYERWRONG thought. One group believes that
once your water reaches 50ish you stop feeding and stop filtering. Without
feeding your fish will produce less waste and therefore not filtering is OK.
In addition by circulating your water, you move the cold top water down to
the lower warm water. The other school of thought thinks the opposite,
filter your water, turn it over, stir it up, whatever.

In my experience, both schools have been successful, and I have not seen
empirical evidence supporting either argument. I for one have my pump shut
off...but...that is because my stream is still leaking, and I don't feel
like fixing it until Spring. That doesn't help does it?

BV.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a