Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Yet another chilli thread :-)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:01:53 -0000, David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Q1 - do chillis need a consistent temperature or minimum light level to keep
growing over winter, or could I still be picking chillis in February?

They do like a lot of bright light, and long day length, otherwise I find
they get sickly. They produce flowers and some fruits set, but they go oll
dull and don't develop properly wothout warmth and lots of light.

I have looked at recipe and storage suggestions and favour the 'just stick
them in the freezer' method.
However, the peppers seem to be covered in a variety of very small bugs, so
I don't fancy freezing them without some kind of cleansing.

Wash them, and if you're still worried, cut them in half the see if there's
anything nasty inside. If ok just freeze them. No need to blanch them.

leav ethe stems on, if you can, as this gives you something to hold onto
when cuttng them up. Cut them while still frozen - they are easier to cut
as they go soft when thawed out, and it help stop any capsecin getting on
your fingers as well.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.