Old 10-11-2003, 03:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Yet another chilli thread :-)

Hi,

just been on the Supernews server as this one ditches posts quite soon, and
re-read some of the chilli threads.

I have just picked over half a kilo (somehow sounds better than 500gms) of
red chillis from the single plant I have in a large tub. No idea of the
type - label (Homebase) just said chilli pepper.

The plant is now in my sun lounge, having spent all summer outside.

I spent a while picking the chillis, as they are mainly small, and realised
that there are still loads of green chillis, some very small, on the plant.
I intend to grow them on for a while to see if the ripen.

Q1 - do chillis need a consistent temperature or minimum light level to keep
growing over winter, or could I still be picking chillis in February?

I have looked at recipe and storage suggestions and favour the 'just stick
them in the freezer' method.
However, the peppers seem to be covered in a variety of very small bugs, so
I don't fancy freezing them without some kind of cleansing.

I think I will blanche them in boiling water for a very short while, rinse
them in cold, dry and freeze most of them and put the rest is olive oil.

Q2 - I read also of the dangers of oil based preserves - botulism etc. - so
will blanching help this in any way? Will freezing then popping the frozen
chillis into oil help or just make things worse?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. do people with heated greenhouses grow chillis on over the winter?

Old 11-11-2003, 12:42 PM
bigboard

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

[snip]

Q1 - do chillis need a consistent temperature or minimum light level to keep
growing over winter, or could I still be picking chillis in February?

I have heard they will keep on flowering. I don't think the fruits will
come to much though.

I have looked at recipe and storage suggestions and favour the 'just stick
them in the freezer' method.
However, the peppers seem to be covered in a variety of very small bugs, so
I don't fancy freezing them without some kind of cleansing.

I think I will blanche them in boiling water for a very short while, rinse
them in cold, dry and freeze most of them and put the rest is olive oil.

Q2 - I read also of the dangers of oil based preserves - botulism etc. - so
will blanching help this in any way? Will freezing then popping the frozen
chillis into oil help or just make things worse?

The blanching and freezing is a good idea. If you are going to put them
in oil, I would follow a method using a water bath to heat the oil up as
well as the chillis, and then seal the jars really well. I didn't take
the risk this year, and instead I'm experimenting with drying my
chillis. I dried some in a very low oven, which worked well, and I've
got others on strings drying in a sunny porch. These haven't rotted yet
and seem to be drying OK.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:01:53 -0000, David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Q1 - do chillis need a consistent temperature or minimum light level to keep
growing over winter, or could I still be picking chillis in February?

They do like a lot of bright light, and long day length, otherwise I find
they get sickly. They produce flowers and some fruits set, but they go oll
dull and don't develop properly wothout warmth and lots of light.

I have looked at recipe and storage suggestions and favour the 'just stick
them in the freezer' method.
However, the peppers seem to be covered in a variety of very small bugs, so
I don't fancy freezing them without some kind of cleansing.

Wash them, and if you're still worried, cut them in half the see if there's
anything nasty inside. If ok just freeze them. No need to blanch them.

leav ethe stems on, if you can, as this gives you something to hold onto
when cuttng them up. Cut them while still frozen - they are easier to cut
as they go soft when thawed out, and it help stop any capsecin getting on
your fingers as well.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.