Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Robert

Default indestructable tomato varieties wanted

"Steffie" wrote in message ...
"zxcvbob" schreef in bericht
On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:52:57 +0100, "Steffie"
wrote:

Hello everybody,

I live in the Netherlands (W.Europe) and growing tomatoes here is not

always
easy. The summers are usually to cold and wet to grow them outside,

while my
little greenhouse quickly gets too hot when the sun does shine.
So what I need to start with is those really strong and healty, disease
resistant varieties. Gardeners Delight proved to be one of those. It

kept
growing no matter what.
Can anybody recommend any other varieties I could try pls?

I haven't grown them myself, but I've often seen 'Stupice'
recommended for cool, short-season places.

Pat

I grew Stupice this year. They did OK, and it was a terrible year for
gardens. But the Better Boy did better -- it was just later. I had
another tomato called Tiger Tom that did pretty well and was early, but

the
tomatoes were seedy and didn't have much meat. Tiger Tom would be just
fine for juicing. Principe Borghese (sp?) grew well and produced early
last year, but this year it was a bust.

I'll probably grow Better Boy and Stupice exclusively next year.

Early Girl is also a popular tomato here in Minnesota.

Bob

Thank you Bob, I certainly will give Better Boy and Early Girl a try. If I
can get the seeds, that is.

Steffie

"Australian Red" do well in cold climates