Old 12-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Default What does ssp mean?

Wendy,

I think it happens when the eburneum mutates a bit. Sometimes you see var.
also used this way.

The taxonomists get a big laugh out of screwing with us and changing names.
I find that sometimes when a grower labels plants they get lazy and may even
list the plant by its subspecies name, for example, Angraecum eburneum ssp
giryamae may appear as Angcm. giryamae. This happened recently with a plant
I purchased labeled Angcm. longicalar. I have found it listed as Angraecum
eburnum var. longicalar and Angraecum eburneum ssp. superbum var.
longicalar.

Curses on them taxonmists!

Good Growing,
Gene

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks much Phil, so in this case does it mean that "giryamae" is like
"eburneum" but not quite?
Cheers Wendy
"Phil Diamond" wrote in message
du.au...