Old 12-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Wendy

Default What does ssp mean?

Thanks ever so much Gene, my question makes sense to me now, (stupid sense).
I was given a couple of pseudo bulbs of Angraecum giryamae & upon
researching,
found the Angcm. eburneum ssp giryamae?
I already have Angcm. eburneum in spike but it will take a while to compare
the two?
I hope the Tax guys give reasons for their name changes etc?
Why do they do this?
Thanks again,
Cheers Wendy
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
link.net...
Wendy,

I think it happens when the eburneum mutates a bit. Sometimes you see

var.
also used this way.

The taxonomists get a big laugh out of screwing with us and changing

names.
I find that sometimes when a grower labels plants they get lazy and may

even
list the plant by its subspecies name, for example, Angraecum eburneum ssp
giryamae may appear as Angcm. giryamae. This happened recently with a

plant
I purchased labeled Angcm. longicalar. I have found it listed as

Angraecum
eburnum var. longicalar and Angraecum eburneum ssp. superbum var.
longicalar.

Curses on them taxonmists!

Good Growing,
Gene

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks much Phil, so in this case does it mean that "giryamae" is like
"eburneum" but not quite?
Cheers Wendy
"Phil Diamond" wrote in message
du.au...