Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Baine Carruthers

Default The real truth about RoundUp?

You're pretty much wasting your time with Roundup on bamboo in the spring.
Also, if you check the label on Roundup, there are some pretty stiff
cautions concerning use around water. For aquatic use I believe you need
Rodeo. Check the NC chemical manual for sure. Here's the url:
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/agchem/agchem.html

--
Baine

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message
Hi,
Some of you may identify with my summer long battle with
phenomenal growth of bamboo grasses this summer. (Now that they are
blooming, I see there are 4 different types with 4 different flowers.)
I have been pulling it out by the roots, in about 20 separate patches
all through my woods and along my stream. It has been winning.
I did some last summer and noted that those particular patches
were much easier to deal with this year. But the quantity this year
is staggering, and it will surely mostly come back in the spring.
The deer already have killed off any desirable understory, such as
hearts-a-burstin' and other wildflowers, dogwood, maple, and the
beavers are now getting the buckeyes. So if I squirt all these bamboo
patches as they come up in the spring, what damage am I doing? Most
of the areas are on a hill, with a community pond at the bottom. I
know Monsanto has done studies, but that is the fox guarding the
chicken coop. What is the real story with Roundup? And could it
leach into the pond and harm water plants/ fish/turtles?
Thanks.
Kira