Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Shannon Deaton

Default Fountain grass

I have planted purple fountain grass before in highly clay soil that had
been impacted by development. It did not reseed. In the winter it died back
all the way to the ground. I do have to admit, the winters after the growing
season were not mild. You may have better luck in a mild winter and more
fertile soil. You may want to try cut back at soon as it turns brown and
mulching. It think it is beautiful and it grows so well during the warm
months.

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with fountain grass, particularly some of the
red or purple varieties? Is this a plant that does well as a perennial

here?
How do the stalks look in winter? Should it be cut back to the ground?

Does
it self-seed (that would be a problem)?

Thanks,
Elizabeth