Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Elizabeth

Default Fountain grass

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with fountain grass, particularly some of the
red or purple varieties? Is this a plant that does well as a perennial here?
How do the stalks look in winter? Should it be cut back to the ground? Does
it self-seed (that would be a problem)?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Shannon Deaton

I have planted purple fountain grass before in highly clay soil that had
been impacted by development. It did not reseed. In the winter it died back
all the way to the ground. I do have to admit, the winters after the growing
season were not mild. You may have better luck in a mild winter and more
fertile soil. You may want to try cut back at soon as it turns brown and
mulching. It think it is beautiful and it grows so well during the warm
months.

ink.net...

Old 13-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Penny Morgan

Purple Fountain Grass is not a perennial in our zone 7b. It will turn light
brown when frost comes and will melt to the ground. Unfortunately, it is
the deepest burgundy grass that looks very nice in our area and most people
want it to be a perennial. You could try taking it into a garage for the
winter and overwintering it there. Don't feed it; just water it once a week
if it dries out. In April, cut the stalks back to a couple of inches from
the ground and start fertilizing with a liquid (1/2 diluted) once a week.
Put it in a warm sunny spot and it should start growing back again. I
haven't heard anyone say that it self seeds. Mine didn't. I just buy new
ones each year.

Penny