Old 13-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Myrmecodia

Default Psychopsis papilo

Dewitt wrote in message . ..
On 12 Nov 2003 18:20:14 -0800, (Myrmecodia)
wrote:

I find that Psychopsis papilio grows very well in pure long-fiber
sphagnum moss.

How do you repot without significant root damage?

Carefully...

But seriously, I find that sphagnum lasts a very long time if you
water with mineral-poor water and do not allow the moss to dry out
completely. Wet-dry cycles seem to cause very rapid breakdown. If
the moss looks good, I just drop the plant into a larger pot and pack
fresh sphagnum around the root ball. If the sphagnum is deteriorated,
I wait until the plant is iniating new roots and then gently pick away
the strands of sphagnum until the roots are relatively clean. When
potted in sphagnum, the plants seem to grow new roots rapidly, so some
damage doesn't seem to be a problem.

I see that my experience with Psychopsis is completely different than
Kenni Judd's. Psychopsis papilio grows like a weed for me, but
hybrids like Psychopsis Mendenhall can be relied on to rot almost
every new growth. Perhaps it has something to do with our different
cultural regimens.

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com