Old 13-11-2003, 05:02 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Texas Ebony cascade??

I don't THINK Texas Ebony and Raintree are same family ( although I'm too
lazy to research it) they just look similar, but, if anyone is sure about it
I'll store the knowledge away :)
I have a TE that I bought at a nursery in Phoenix in 1985. It was large and
wild. They sell them for landscaping but I don't think they are very
atractive in natural arid land growing state. Does anyone know how/why
these migrated over to Florida?Mine was tall with several straight shoots. I
cut it way back to train as bonsai. Probably 90% of it is gone. It has done
fabulous over the years in the house in winter, as well as ones I've brought
back from the certainly more tropical southern Florida ( where Barts came
from). San Antonio, Texas' late , and well respected, nursery owners used
to have some nice specimens years ago! I remember seeing some great, and
fairly large, ones in Dallas area at Dream Gardens a couple years ago during
the Kimura/Dream Gardens symposium.
I was suprised at the onset however that once trained into a bonsai pot if
let to go dry it rains leaves ( probably a good defensive move in
Arizona/Texas deserts! So I am careful to keep watered in the house. It
Flourishes outside in summer, but, very slow growing trunk. Mine has not
gotten much bigger in 18 years.
Dale Cochoy