Old 14-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Ornithology Experts Needed - Agressive Mistle Thrush

In article k, Larry
Stoter writes
TheScullster wrote:

I was a bit taken aback by the behaviour of a bird in our garden recently.
The property is situated in East Yorkshire and attracts the usual cross
section of garden visitors.

There has been such a captivating and energetic array of wildlife recently,
I have almost been late for work watching them all.
This morning we had: sparrows, a robin, tits, chaffinches, a wren, two
blackbirds and a large thrush-like bird.
The latter "looked" like a thrush but was slightly larger, more pointed in
shape with heavier markings and seemed to enjoy attacking other birds
particularly blackbirds.
Am I right in thinking this is a mistle thrush?

Was it greyer on the head and rump?
May have been a Fieldfare - though they do tend to gather in groups
rather than singly.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.