Old 13-11-2003, 05:42 PM
TheScullster

Default Ornithology Experts Needed - Agressive Mistle Thrush

I was a bit taken aback by the behaviour of a bird in our garden recently.
The property is situated in East Yorkshire and attracts the usual cross
section of garden visitors.

There has been such a captivating and energetic array of wildlife recently,
I have almost been late for work watching them all.
This morning we had: sparrows, a robin, tits, chaffinches, a wren, two
blackbirds and a large thrush-like bird.
The latter "looked" like a thrush but was slightly larger, more pointed in
shape with heavier markings and seemed to enjoy attacking other birds
particularly blackbirds.
Am I right in thinking this is a mistle thrush?
Is this usual behaviour for these birds?
Will this single bird frighten away the other (far more welcome) visitors?
I never could stand bullies!

Do I need to take action to protect my "regulars"?

TIA

Phil

Old 13-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Larry Stoter

TheScullster wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a Mistle Thrush - tend to have overall a rather greyer tinge
than Song Thrushes.

They can be very territorial and will often claim ownership during the
winter of bushes with lots of berries and defend against all comers. I
think that often pairs stay together from the spring and summer to
defend a bush.

Since blackbirds are also fairly agressive and are often responsible for
having a go at song thrushes, I would worry about your blackbirds.
Anyway, the vast majority of such agression is for show and rarely
results in any harm to individuals.

Remember also, the the vast majority of birds species in the UK have
been getting along perfectly well with each other and the rest of the
natural world for thousands of years - it's us monkeys interfering that
causes problems
--
Larry Stoter
Old 14-11-2003, 09:02 AM
TheScullster

Thanks Larry

The bush idea rings true. The bird I've seen spends a lot of time around 2
berry laden pyracantha.

Phil

Old 14-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Jane Ransom

In article k, Larry
Stoter writes
TheScullster wrote:

I was a bit taken aback by the behaviour of a bird in our garden recently.
The property is situated in East Yorkshire and attracts the usual cross
section of garden visitors.

There has been such a captivating and energetic array of wildlife recently,
I have almost been late for work watching them all.
This morning we had: sparrows, a robin, tits, chaffinches, a wren, two
blackbirds and a large thrush-like bird.
The latter "looked" like a thrush but was slightly larger, more pointed in
shape with heavier markings and seemed to enjoy attacking other birds
particularly blackbirds.
Am I right in thinking this is a mistle thrush?

Was it greyer on the head and rump?
May have been a Fieldfare - though they do tend to gather in groups
rather than singly.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 14-11-2003, 03:12 PM