Old 15-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim & Gloria

Default Start plants from seeds in Spring/growth light etc, info please.

Hi Joe:
My name is Jim, I live in southern Mn. I start about 250 tomato plants
from seed each spring. I like to use Jiffy7 peat pots in their plastic tray
and
a clear plastic lid. Start them in a warm dark place. After the plants come
up move them to a place with lots of light. After the plants get
their "true" leaves, transplant them to a larger container "peat pot and
all". I use plastic cups
about 10oz size, and use Miracle Gro garden soil. Next put the plants in
full sun and let them
have a breeze. The breese causes the stems to thicken and become strong.
About the middle
of May the plants will be big enough to set out into garden, I wait until
the end of May because
of the cool nights in this climate.

Jim

"Joe" wrote in message
I have tried to start plants from seeds in the past, but always failed. I
would like to have a setup in my basement for starting plants. I really
don't know how to go about it. What kind of lights do I need and where can

buy them? What about a fluorescent shop light that hangs over a shelf

where
the starter containers sit? Is there such a thing as growth florescent

light
tubes for starting plants? I would also like to know when to start plants
from seed such as tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli etc... I can't find any
books on this for a beginner to use. Also, what about using basement

window
wells for cold frames? Thank you all very much for your opinions.