Old 15-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Moving Roses

"Centifolia" wrote:
Plant it in the new hole with *no* fertilizer.

The rose must have some type of phoshate fertilizer
in the hole...Phosphate has to be added to the soil
around the roots or it will never get there as it does
not readily move through the soil like N does....

Maybe I should be happy that I live in Florida phosphate
country: pH 4.5, phosphate off the scale according to
soil tests of the black sand/clay mix on much of my land.
Even moribund bushes put out blooms before dying.

Flip side: no other major nutrients in the soil. I've been
known to do strange things, such as urinate next to treasured
plants to give them nitrogenous goodies, or chuck potassium
chloride water-softener pellets (don't try this with regular
salt pellets!) over their roots. Luckily, one can also buy
fertilizers with the middle number (phosphorus) 2 or even 0,
at least around here.

Mark., now to try mycorrhizal stuff again, easy on the fertilizer