Old 16-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Bolero

Default Australian Orchid Conservationists Fight Back

Yes they will grow outside in California.

I don't understand why you can't get them there, they are a dime a dozen
here. There must be importers over there bringing them in?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Personally, thru this article, ausdigi's photos on APBO and Tony

Watkinson's
presentation (to come up Wed on OrchidSafari) I think Aussie terrestrails
will be the next rage orchid. I think they may even grow outdoors here in
Calif. I know many people see ausdigi's photos and want some for

themselves.
(or maybe I should speak for myself. If I could figure out how to get them
here I'd buy a flask in a heartbeat.

K Barrett

"sneff" sneff at d2 dot net dot au wrote in message
s.com...
Its amazing what you can come up with when you visit Google's News

(http://news.google.com), and type 'orchid' into the search field.

This story from the Melbourne Age newspaper (http://tinyurl.com/v32a) is
currently only a few hours old, and outlines some of the steps different
groups are taking to protect threatened orchid species. As well as the
possible discovery of a new species! It's a little light on binomial
nomenclature, but hey - this is a weekend broadsheet newspaper after

all.
Still interesting. Along with all the other local orchid news stories to

be
found at Google's news search. Happy hunting.

Best, Matthew