Old 15-11-2003, 02:42 AM
sneff

Default Australian Orchid Conservationists Fight Back

Its amazing what you can come up with when you visit Google's News Search
(http://news.google.com), and type 'orchid' into the search field.

This story from the Melbourne Age newspaper (http://tinyurl.com/v32a) is
currently only a few hours old, and outlines some of the steps different
groups are taking to protect threatened orchid species. As well as the
possible discovery of a new species! It's a little light on binomial
nomenclature, but hey - this is a weekend broadsheet newspaper after all.
Still interesting. Along with all the other local orchid news stories to be
found at Google's news search. Happy hunting.

Best, Matthew

Old 16-11-2003, 12:42 AM
K Barrett

Personally, thru this article, ausdigi's photos on APBO and Tony Watkinson's
presentation (to come up Wed on OrchidSafari) I think Aussie terrestrails
will be the next rage orchid. I think they may even grow outdoors here in
Calif. I know many people see ausdigi's photos and want some for themselves.
(or maybe I should speak for myself. If I could figure out how to get them
here I'd buy a flask in a heartbeat.

K Barrett

s.com...

Old 16-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Bolero

Yes they will grow outside in California.

I don't understand why you can't get them there, they are a dime a dozen
here. There must be importers over there bringing them in?

Old 16-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Andrew

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:uAztb.9313$Dw6.63697@attbi_s02...
Personally, thru this article, ausdigi's photos on APBO and Tony Watkinson's
presentation (to come up Wed on OrchidSafari) I think Aussie terrestrails
will be the next rage orchid. I think they may even grow outdoors here in
Calif. I know many people see ausdigi's photos and want some for themselves.
(or maybe I should speak for myself. If I could figure out how to get them
here I'd buy a flask in a heartbeat.

K Barrett

Not sure exactly where in California you're talking about but most are
hardy down to at least 32F. I imagine they'd do well in many parts of
California. Some suggest getting the necessary fungal relationships
outside of Australia might be an issue but I really don't think there
is enough info available draw any conclusions about this (I'm not
convinced that reports of Aussie orchids dying in other countries was
due to a lack of suitable fungi and not poor culture).

It's interesting to hear that they are on the way to becoming the next
'big thing' in the states. They're still struggling for recognition in
Australia!!! While things are slowly changing, you still have to move
in certain crowds to know how the get hold of them. While those crowds
are quite open to newcomers the problem for the newcomer is knowing
they exist in the first place.

Andrew
Old 16-11-2003, 04:02 PM
K Barrett

I have never seen them here at all. As far as I know many many of the
Australian orchids aren't imported over here. Sure we get the various
Dendrobiums (Dockrillias) and of course the Sarcochilus, but these
terrestrials and the Promenea hybrids forget it. I suppose I should contact
Adelaide Orchids and see if they'd send a flask. As far as I know Adelaide
is the only Ozzie firm with a branch in the US.

K Barrett

u...

Old 16-11-2003, 04:12 PM
K Barrett

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
"K Barrett" wrote in message

[...]

Well, that's IMHO they'll become the next big thing, *G*. I think they are
much more interesting than the other terrestrials we see around here. They
sure kick butt on Stenoglottis, and Bletilla, all rather ordinary IMHO.

I wonder if regular garden catalogs would sell them rather than orchid
vendors? I should go look.

K Barrett

Old 16-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Myrmecodia

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:q9Ntb.214628$Tr4.619639@attbi_s03...
I have never seen them here at all. As far as I know many many of the
Australian orchids aren't imported over here. Sure we get the various
Dendrobiums (Dockrillias) and of course the Sarcochilus, but these
terrestrials and the Promenea hybrids forget it. I suppose I should contact
Adelaide Orchids and see if they'd send a flask. As far as I know Adelaide
is the only Ozzie firm with a branch in the US.

Nesbitt's Orchids seems to one of the few nurseries in Australia that
specialize in the terrestrials, and they will export dormant tuberoids
if you have the proper import permits. As far as I know, they aren't
on the web, but I think a google search may turn up a snail mail
address.

The problem with importing from Australia is the difference in
seasons. Most of the Australian terrestrials are winter growers with
a strict requirement for dry summer dormancy, and they seem very, very
slow to switch over to a northern hemisphere schedule. Unlike some of
the epiphytes, they don't have the ability to skip a period of
dormancy. I imported some tuberoids from Nesbitt's about six years
ago. They arrived in our spring, ready for a cool winter growing
period, and few of them thrived in our hot summer. In a few years,
all I had left was one Pterostylis. If you get hold of some, you
should probably plan on growing them under lights in a cool room, for
at least a few years until they can switch over to our seasons (if
they ever do).

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 17-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Phil Diamond

The problem with importing from Australia is the difference in
seasons. Most of the Australian terrestrials are winter growers with
a strict requirement for dry summer dormancy, and they seem very, very
slow to switch over to a northern hemisphere schedule. Unlike some of
the epiphytes, they don't have the ability to skip a period of
dormancy. I imported some tuberoids from Nesbitt's about six years
ago. They arrived in our spring, ready for a cool winter growing
period, and few of them thrived in our hot summer. In a few years,
all I had left was one Pterostylis. If you get hold of some, you
should probably plan on growing them under lights in a cool room, for
at least a few years until they can switch over to our seasons (if
they ever do).

Nesbitt's also sell flasks - that may overcome the acclimatisation
problem.

Cordially, Phil
--
################################################## #############################
Dr Phil Diamond

Old 17-11-2003, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

Thank you! I've made a note!

"Phil Diamond" wrote in message

[...]

################################################## ##########################
###

Old 18-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Bolero

That may be true but there are australian orchid nurseries that do export
orchids.

Do some searches, you might be surprised.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I have never seen them here at all. As far as I know many many of the
Australian orchids aren't imported over here. Sure we get the various
Dendrobiums (Dockrillias) and of course the Sarcochilus, but these
terrestrials and the Promenea hybrids forget it. I suppose I should

contact
Adelaide Orchids and see if they'd send a flask. As far as I know Adelaide
is the only Ozzie firm with a branch in the US.

K Barrett

u...