Old 16-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Dick

Default Long thread like algae appearance.

I added more plants to absorb more of the nutrients. That is in
addition to adding fish and snails that like algae and reducing the
number of hours my lights are on. I think of algae as part of the
food chain, so I increased the competition and reduced the nutrients.
Don't forget to clean the stuff. The longer threads are not
attractive to algae eaters. They seem to like the "young stuff."

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:58:28 GMT, "Dinky"
wrote:

"coigula" wrote in message
Hi

I have the growth of a long filimentous type green algae that grows in
threads in the top half of the aquarium. I have little or no other types
of algae clearly visible.

I run 2 54w full spectrum daylights over a std 55 gallon for 8-10hrs per
day by a timer. Is the source of this algae too much light? I can
easily raise the height of the suspended light or shorten the duration.
Otherwise plant growth is excellent. I run 80ppm as caco3 alkalinity at
set ph controller to 6.9pH.

I use 5 ml Tropica master grow weekly as well.

Drew

http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#thread

Does Tropica contain iron? The addition of an appropriate algae eater would
make the problem go away. At least it's an algae that's easy to remove.