Old 16-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Andrew

Default Australian Orchid Conservationists Fight Back

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:uAztb.9313$Dw6.63697@attbi_s02...
Personally, thru this article, ausdigi's photos on APBO and Tony Watkinson's
presentation (to come up Wed on OrchidSafari) I think Aussie terrestrails
will be the next rage orchid. I think they may even grow outdoors here in
Calif. I know many people see ausdigi's photos and want some for themselves.
(or maybe I should speak for myself. If I could figure out how to get them
here I'd buy a flask in a heartbeat.

K Barrett

Not sure exactly where in California you're talking about but most are
hardy down to at least 32F. I imagine they'd do well in many parts of
California. Some suggest getting the necessary fungal relationships
outside of Australia might be an issue but I really don't think there
is enough info available draw any conclusions about this (I'm not
convinced that reports of Aussie orchids dying in other countries was
due to a lack of suitable fungi and not poor culture).

It's interesting to hear that they are on the way to becoming the next
'big thing' in the states. They're still struggling for recognition in
Australia!!! While things are slowly changing, you still have to move
in certain crowds to know how the get hold of them. While those crowds
are quite open to newcomers the problem for the newcomer is knowing
they exist in the first place.

Andrew