Old 17-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Does no one know? - Sun and Winter Vegetables

In article , (Steve Harris) writes:
| My vegetable plot gets no direct sun from November-February inclusive.
| Part of the plot has a further 2 months of gloom.
|
| Questions:
|
| 1. Will my Mussleborough leeks actually grow any bigger by January?

No, but they won't grow significantly even in full sun. The sun is
too anaemic to be of much use in the UK over that period.

| 2. Should I pull the rest of my small Golden Ball turnips now?

It depends on whether you are likely to get a serious frost.

| 3. Are there vegetables I should choose/avoid with this site?

It depends on what the light is like from March to October.
Direct versus indirect winter sun isn't a major issue in the UK,
as it is effectively useless anyway. The matter is VERY important
in spring, summer and autumn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.