Old 16-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Steve Harris

Default Does no one know? - Sun and Winter Vegetables

My vegetable plot gets no direct sun from November-February inclusive.
Part of the plot has a further 2 months of gloom.

Questions:

1. Will my Mussleborough leeks actually grow any bigger by January?
2. Should I pull the rest of my small Golden Ball turnips now?
3. Are there vegetables I should choose/avoid with this site?

Thanks!

Old 16-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Rod

Steve Harris wrote:

My vegetable plot gets no direct sun from November-February inclusive.
Part of the plot has a further 2 months of gloom.

Questions:

1. Will my Mussleborough leeks actually grow any bigger by January?
2. Should I pull the rest of my small Golden Ball turnips now?
3. Are there vegetables I should choose/avoid with this site?

Thanks!

Most of our walled kitchen garden is like that. Don't let it bother you. I'd leave
the turnips and leeks in. Your leeks might have a bit more growing in them, the
limiting factor might be various rots if the soil is very wet - white rot is the
real killer, if that's not present there shouldn't be a real problem. Perhaps
don't expect Musselburgh leeks to go much past the end of January.
Overwintering crops that just stand over winter will be OK, overwintering crops
like spring cabbages that are trying to grow won't be quite so easy. Autumn son
Broad beans are fine - they don't do much growing 'til after Christmas anyway.
You need to pick your spots for early spring crops and things that need lots of
sun.
Only slightly on topic my daughter & son in law have just bought a good old Howard
350 rotavator for their allotment from a guy in Leckhampton. He has sheds *full*
of old rotavators he's gradually sorting out and selling on ebay.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/
Old 19-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Steve Harris

Thanks!

Lawn spiking. Does anyone know What & where we hire one from? tina United Kingdom 13 22-09-2006 04:20 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the yard? GeneS Texas 4 16-04-2004 02:32 PM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the Rick Shannon Texas 0 14-04-2004 05:02 AM
Sun and Winter Vegetables Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 14-11-2003 02:04 AM