Old 17-11-2003, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

Default Australian Orchid Conservationists Fight Back

Thank you! I've made a note!

"Phil Diamond" wrote in message

The problem with importing from Australia is the difference in
seasons. Most of the Australian terrestrials are winter growers with
a strict requirement for dry summer dormancy, and they seem very, very
slow to switch over to a northern hemisphere schedule. Unlike some of
the epiphytes, they don't have the ability to skip a period of
dormancy. I imported some tuberoids from Nesbitt's about six years
ago. They arrived in our spring, ready for a cool winter growing
period, and few of them thrived in our hot summer. In a few years,
all I had left was one Pterostylis. If you get hold of some, you
should probably plan on growing them under lights in a cool room, for
at least a few years until they can switch over to our seasons (if
they ever do).

Nesbitt's also sell flasks - that may overcome the acclimatisation
problem.

Cordially, Phil
--

###