Old 17-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Theo

Default third post from Ann

garden. I did go over to RGR and (I still lurk there occassionally)
and want to comment on the belief (based on info published by Iowa
State) that there are relatively short paths of infection. From what
we've seen in the south east, the mites can be transported by winds
thirty and forty miles or more. Similar sized mites have been
recovered from aerial samples of thunderstorm clouds. Even if only one
mite per acre is dropped from distant infections, large rose gardens
are at risk. There is NO RRD within a half mile of my garden, about
20% of the multiflora three miles up wind of my gardens has RRD (none
of it was sick three years ago). This year 2% of my roses have come
down with RRD, so far and the season isn't over.

I stand corrected.

If the disease is this capable of spreading
like this we have no hope.

Hopefully multiflora will become more resistant
and we can then breed those resistant geenes
into other roses.

--
Theo

in KC Z5