Old 18-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Gary Woods

Default Preparations for next season

"Emmet Cummings" wrote:

Once the fifty miles-per-hour winds die down I plan to clear out the garden
and give the dog more of the backyard. Any suggestions for preparing the
soil for next year?

I'm guessing you're in New York state, based on the address and the winds!
(I'm still looking for some of the stuff that was on the front porch....).
As another report said, anything organic you can lay your hands on, spread
out to weather and rot. The more the merrier!
I've still got some bok choi and leeks that need harvesting, and perhaps a
light mulch on the garlic bed, with a little more to slow the freeze-thaw
cycle once the ground really freezes.
And Jerusalem Artichokes. Eating them combined with garlic should keep me
out of the social whirl for a while!