Old 15-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Emmet Cummings

Default Preparations for next season

Once the fifty miles-per-hour winds die down I plan to clear out the garden
and give the dog more of the backyard. Any suggestions for preparing the
soil for next year?

Thanks,
Em

Old 18-11-2003, 03:22 AM
canuckistani

"Emmet Cummings" wrote in message
Once the fifty miles-per-hour winds die down I plan to clear out the

garden
and give the dog more of the backyard. Any suggestions for preparing the
soil for next year?

Thanks,
Em

Simple. If you have any leaves, grass clippings, shredded b/w newsprint,
compost, anything that was cleared out of the garden in terms of green
manure, rake it on! The more, the better. Any manure could be spread now as
well, even hot, all this will seep down over the coming months. No idea
about what soil type or condition you have - or what you are clearing out
but adding compostable biomass certainly won't hurt your soil come next
season.
John in western Canada
http://www.renaissancegardens.com/

Old 18-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Gary Woods

"Emmet Cummings" wrote:

Once the fifty miles-per-hour winds die down I plan to clear out the garden
and give the dog more of the backyard. Any suggestions for preparing the
soil for next year?

I'm guessing you're in New York state, based on the address and the winds!
(I'm still looking for some of the stuff that was on the front porch....).
As another report said, anything organic you can lay your hands on, spread
out to weather and rot. The more the merrier!
I've still got some bok choi and leeks that need harvesting, and perhaps a
light mulch on the garlic bed, with a little more to slow the freeze-thaw
cycle once the ground really freezes.
And Jerusalem Artichokes. Eating them combined with garlic should keep me
out of the social whirl for a while!

Old 18-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Sunderland

Quote:
Originally posted by Emmet Cummings
Once the fifty miles-per-hour winds die down I plan to clear out the garden
and give the dog more of the backyard. Any suggestions for preparing the
soil for next year?

Thanks,
Em

I'm busy collecting and speading seaweed ready to dig in.

Tony

Winter preparations Jim Marrs Texas 3 17-12-2005 02:29 AM
storing garlic for next planting season? len gardener Australia 4 04-12-2004 12:00 PM
Hurricane Preparations? aktgibbs Ponds 25 15-09-2004 04:13 PM
Biodynamic Preparations under threat - Of possible interest to Organic & Biodynamic gardeners. Jim W United Kingdom 0 18-06-2003 11:20 PM