Old 18-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Theo van Daele

Default DIY frenzy to get the pond ready for winter...

Koizyme, is that a similar product to Genesyz ? (outcompeting bacteria to
fight aeromonas) ?

I must say that I was a bit shocked when I removed the rocks... even with
rather excellent filtration it was incredible how much crud/uneaten food etc
I found underneath. And they were only there for 8 months since the last
rebuild...

One way to deal with that is to mortar them in and cover it with G4, but I
didn't want to use cement (yet) as the pond may still change shape in the
next years... the wood is easy to remove and reuse, and I was more pleased
with the end result than I thought I would be when I started out.

One thing: the pond does look "smaller" now, but because you can attach the
liner in a very neat way between the poles and the vertical part of the
construction, I managed to raise the water level about 2 inches.

If you think about doing the same, much depends on your soil. I'm lucky to
have a clay like soil, very compact, so 60 cm was enough for me, but if not
you may need to go a bit deeper (say 1 meter) to make it a solid
construction.

Mail me or post here if you really want to go ahead with it next year: I
have a bunch of "tips & tricks", they are in Dutch, but I can easily
translate them.

Theo

"~ jan JJsPond.us" schreef in bericht
Theo, I think it is just gorgeous, even when it turns grey it will be so,
imo.

I know I need to come up with a plan to rid myself of some rocks, I'm not
sure why this year in particular the fish were bad, they weren't that much
bigger than the previous year. In the meantime, I will order Koizyme early
on and keep the pond innoculated. ) ~ jan