Old 17-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Theo van Daele

Default DIY frenzy to get the pond ready for winter...

Hi folks,

I composed a new page which describes the little bits of work (ahum) I did
this year to get the pond ready for winter.

I wish I had chosen an easier hobby, like building bridges or designing
space-ships :-)

Enjoy : http://www.wide-o.net/heating/

Theo

Old 17-11-2003, 02:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I composed a new page which describes the little bits of work (ahum) I did
this year to get the pond ready for winter.

I wish I had chosen an easier hobby, like building bridges or designing
space-ships :-)

Enjoy : http://www.wide-o.net/heating/

Great site, great project. Theo, I think yer pond is on my top five list.

BV.

Old 17-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Theo van Daele

Thanks BV !

In return I must say your site is coming together quite nicely as well.
From "just a few links" to a lot more in a matter of months, good stuff :-)

And to end on a high: my self inflicted wounds from this project are healing
nicely ;-)

Theo

Old 17-11-2003, 09:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Kewl or what? (Theo exclaims on website).

EXTREMELY KEWL!!!! I love how you replaced the rocks! Do you actually have
the hard wood in contact with the water? What type of wood, and it looks
like you stained it? What did you use that isn't toxic?
~ jan -- seriously impressed.

I composed a new page which describes the little bits of work (ahum) I did
this year to get the pond ready for winter.
Enjoy : http://www.wide-o.net/heating/

Theo

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 17-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Theo van Daele

Hey Jan,

Yes, it's in contact with the water, and allows for about 3" differences in
levels without showing any liner.

The wood used is tropical hardwood called "Bankirai". It's supposed to
last about 15 to 25 years, even in contact with water. I've left a lot of
info out of the webpage (time...), it kinda "works" so I left it outside on
my drive for 2 months in the rain before using it for the pond.

Even better wood would be Azobe... much harder, but also much more difficult
to "shape".

The color is "natural" but can be treated with special oil if one wants to,
supposedly even that oil isn't really toxic for fish, but don't quote me on
that ;-) Untreated, it becomes a nice kind of grey after a few years,
wich is pretty nice also. The wood itself if guaranteed non-toxic for fish.

Total cost for the wood (and the 60 cm poles it is attached to) was about
250 USD, so not silly money really.

Thanks for the kind comments,

Theo

"~ jan JJsPond.us" schreef in bericht

Old 17-11-2003, 10:44 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Theo, I think it is just gorgeous, even when it turns grey it will be so,
imo.

I know I need to come up with a plan to rid myself of some rocks, I'm not
sure why this year in particular the fish were bad, they weren't that much
bigger than the previous year. In the meantime, I will order Koizyme early
on and keep the pond innoculated. ) ~ jan

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:35:52 GMT, "Theo van Daele" wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 18-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Theo van Daele

Koizyme, is that a similar product to Genesyz ? (outcompeting bacteria to
fight aeromonas) ?

I must say that I was a bit shocked when I removed the rocks... even with
rather excellent filtration it was incredible how much crud/uneaten food etc
I found underneath. And they were only there for 8 months since the last
rebuild...

One way to deal with that is to mortar them in and cover it with G4, but I
didn't want to use cement (yet) as the pond may still change shape in the
next years... the wood is easy to remove and reuse, and I was more pleased
with the end result than I thought I would be when I started out.

One thing: the pond does look "smaller" now, but because you can attach the
liner in a very neat way between the poles and the vertical part of the
construction, I managed to raise the water level about 2 inches.

If you think about doing the same, much depends on your soil. I'm lucky to
have a clay like soil, very compact, so 60 cm was enough for me, but if not
you may need to go a bit deeper (say 1 meter) to make it a solid
construction.

Mail me or post here if you really want to go ahead with it next year: I
have a bunch of "tips & tricks", they are in Dutch, but I can easily
translate them.

Old 19-11-2003, 06:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:52:45 GMT, "Theo van Daele" wrote:

Koizyme, is that a similar product to Genesyz ? (outcompeting bacteria to
fight aeromonas) ?

Yes, to that in ( )'s. Have not heard of Genesyz.

Mail me or post here if you really want to go ahead with it next year: I
have a bunch of "tips & tricks", they are in Dutch, but I can easily
translate them.

Thanks, I have your site mark if I ever get to that point. ) ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 22-09-2005, 03:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

wrote:

[...]

Chelsea Flower Show 8: Feeding Frenzy Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 27-05-2014 05:31 PM
PONDS: Spawn frenzy George Ponds 4 04-06-2005 11:46 AM
Get the pond ready for winter Rick Ponds 3 02-10-2004 07:24 AM
Get the pond ready for winter Rick Ponds 0 27-09-2004 01:08 AM
Getting ready for my fisrt winter with a pond Nathan A. Smith Ponds 77 17-09-2004 05:37 PM