Old 18-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Trish Brown

Default Ponytail

Snogoose wrote:

Please
Can anybody tell me what a very young Ponytail plants bulb thing looks like.
I know what it looks like a little bit older, but I have had this young
plant given to me that is supposed to be a Ponytail, but its bottom looks
more like a roundish bulb.
TIA
Sno

Please reply to the group-my email address is fake to deter spam.

Baby ponytails look a bit like 'a roundish bulb' and darken and get woodier with
maturity.

What are the leaves like? Ponytail (Beaucarnia) leaves are leathery and slender
(linear), all originating from the top of the 'bulb'. If the plant you have is
entirely green and succulent, you might be dealing with a thing called 'Pregnant
Onion'. Yeah, I'm serious! The first time I purchased a Beaucarnia, I admire the
juicy green bulb and thought 'Oh, it'll grow woodier in time...). It never did!
Instead, I wound up with a rather attractive potted specimen which threw
hundreds and hundreds of baby bulbs (and now I have *legions* of them!!!!!) I
actually had to search for a while before I finally found a real Beaucarnia!
LOL!

FWIW, Pregnant Onion (does *any*one know its latin name? It's too pretty to be
called 'Pregnant Onion'! has between two and, say, eight long, straplike, shiny
leaves at any given time and is usually 'pregnant' (ie. hatching new babies).

It might help if you let us know how big your 'bulb' is, what colour, what sorts
of leaves it's sprouting and perhaps where you got it from???

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia