Old 18-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Snogoose

Default Ponytail

Please
Can anybody tell me what a very young Ponytail plants bulb thing looks like.
I know what it looks like a little bit older, but I have had this young
plant given to me that is supposed to be a Ponytail, but its bottom looks
more like a roundish bulb.
TIA
Sno

Please reply to the group-my email address is fake to deter spam.

Old 18-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Trish Brown

Snogoose wrote:

Please
Can anybody tell me what a very young Ponytail plants bulb thing looks like.
I know what it looks like a little bit older, but I have had this young
plant given to me that is supposed to be a Ponytail, but its bottom looks
more like a roundish bulb.
TIA
Sno

Please reply to the group-my email address is fake to deter spam.

Baby ponytails look a bit like 'a roundish bulb' and darken and get woodier with
maturity.

What are the leaves like? Ponytail (Beaucarnia) leaves are leathery and slender
(linear), all originating from the top of the 'bulb'. If the plant you have is
entirely green and succulent, you might be dealing with a thing called 'Pregnant
Onion'. Yeah, I'm serious! The first time I purchased a Beaucarnia, I admire the
juicy green bulb and thought 'Oh, it'll grow woodier in time...). It never did!
Instead, I wound up with a rather attractive potted specimen which threw
hundreds and hundreds of baby bulbs (and now I have *legions* of them!!!!!) I
actually had to search for a while before I finally found a real Beaucarnia!
LOL!

FWIW, Pregnant Onion (does *any*one know its latin name? It's too pretty to be
called 'Pregnant Onion'! has between two and, say, eight long, straplike, shiny
leaves at any given time and is usually 'pregnant' (ie. hatching new babies).

It might help if you let us know how big your 'bulb' is, what colour, what sorts
of leaves it's sprouting and perhaps where you got it from???

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 18-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Snogoose

Trish, the bulb is dryish on top, 2cm across, leaves not at all succulent,
strappy, coming out from the top of the bulb. The longest leaves are about
20cm long. It was given to me by my niece who in turn got it from her
friend who said it came up in her garden. She has large adult Ponytails so
I am hoping.
Thanks,

Old 19-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Snogoose

Thanks Adrian, I didn't think I was being hoodwinked but the round bulb had
me puzzled. Looks like I have a long wait for mine to be 1.5m tall.
Sno

"Adrian" ay@no-spam-liquisol-com wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:21:18 GMT, "Snogoose"
wrote:

Trish, the bulb is dryish on top, 2cm across, leaves not at all

succulent,
strappy, coming out from the top of the bulb. The longest leaves are

about
20cm long. It was given to me by my niece who in turn got it from her
friend who said it came up in her garden. She has large adult Ponytails

so
I am hoping.
Thanks,
Sno

It sounds identical to a baby ponytail I was given about 10 years ago.
It's now 1.5m tall, and growing very happilly in the garden!