Old 18-11-2003, 09:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Catsetum pileatum

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
GrlIntrpted wrote:

I recently purchased a Catsetum pileatum. It arrived and is comprised of

an
older p/b and a new full of leaves growth. The information about caring

for
it on the web is conflicting. Is now the stage when I hold back the

water
completely? Is the new growth about to shed it's leaves? Some websites

say
that it will bloom after it sheds it's leaves, and other websites say

that
it will flower from the late fall and into Christmas! Is mine about to
bloom? or is about to go bald?

The information is confusing because these are confusing plants. In
my hands they behave differently than in your hands. My leaves fall
more in response to spider mite infestation than any seasonal
activity... *grin* Anyway, don't worry about it. Continue to water it
as you normally would until the leaves start to yellow, then start
withholding water. Let the plant tell you when it wants to go dormant.
The plant knows. It might take a few years to figure out just what
seasons you have at your house, just like a person with jet-lag.

This species flowers, for me, while leafless. And usually flowers
with the spike going backwards into the bench materials, so that it
can't be moved for display. Consistently. Perhaps the spikes like to
travel away from the light.

Rob

Thanks for the information Rob, much appreciated. I was under the impression
that to get female flowers I should grow it in a very bright location,
whereas shaded growing conditions produce the showier (is that a word?
male flowers.

Mariana