Old 19-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Kenni Judd

Default Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions

I can't speak to your Bollea [too coolish for us], but maybe I can help with
the gigantea. This is one of very few vandaceous plants that we grow
potted, with [very coarse lava rock] medium, as opposed to "bare in the
basket." It seems to like the more even moisture, and still tolerates the
daily watering we give our other vandaceous. It also likes more shade than
most of our vandaceous selections. I have not noticed it to be particularly
fussy about fertilizing, but since (at least here) we will soon be coming up
on its blooming season, you might want to skip a few feedings -- too much
nitrogen can interfere with blooming.

Hope this helps,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Susan Jeffrey" wrote in message
Hi - I just double posted a picture of some vandas I have in bloom on
abp. Sorry about the double, I'm getting my feet wet. I have been able
to bloom just about all my orchids, but am still waiting for these two.
The Rhyncho I have had for three years with no blooms, although bought
it in bloom. The Bollea (in a shadier spot) I have had for 4 years and
it has about 8 growths. Both plants extremely healthy, good roots, etc.
I can bloom a vanda, and even Rhynchosylis coelestis. So what am I doing
wrong?? I can't bloom a catasetum either.. just nice apple green
leaves, everywhere. I do fertilize heavily. Also I can't grow phals -
recently all my 5-7 year old phals have lost their will to make new
leaves, and I'm left with pots of great looking roots. ???? Could
indirect but high intensity light be too much for some plants?
Sue, phrustrated in filly