Old 19-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Susan Jeffrey

Default Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions

Hi - I just double posted a picture of some vandas I have in bloom on
abp. Sorry about the double, I'm getting my feet wet. I have been able
to bloom just about all my orchids, but am still waiting for these two.
The Rhyncho I have had for three years with no blooms, although bought
it in bloom. The Bollea (in a shadier spot) I have had for 4 years and
it has about 8 growths. Both plants extremely healthy, good roots, etc.
I can bloom a vanda, and even Rhynchosylis coelestis. So what am I doing
wrong?? I can't bloom a catasetum either.. just nice apple green
leaves, everywhere. I do fertilize heavily. Also I can't grow phals -
recently all my 5-7 year old phals have lost their will to make new
leaves, and I'm left with pots of great looking roots. ???? Could
indirect but high intensity light be too much for some plants?
Sue, phrustrated in filly

Old 19-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Kenni Judd

I can't speak to your Bollea [too coolish for us], but maybe I can help with
the gigantea. This is one of very few vandaceous plants that we grow
potted, with [very coarse lava rock] medium, as opposed to "bare in the
basket." It seems to like the more even moisture, and still tolerates the
daily watering we give our other vandaceous. It also likes more shade than
most of our vandaceous selections. I have not noticed it to be particularly
fussy about fertilizing, but since (at least here) we will soon be coming up
on its blooming season, you might want to skip a few feedings -- too much
nitrogen can interfere with blooming.

Hope this helps,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 19-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:31:27 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

I can't speak to your Bollea [too coolish for us], but maybe I can help with
the gigantea. This is one of very few vandaceous plants that we grow
potted, with [very coarse lava rock] medium, as opposed to "bare in the
basket." It seems to like the more even moisture, and still tolerates the
daily watering we give our other vandaceous. It also likes more shade than
most of our vandaceous selections. I have not noticed it to be particularly
fussy about fertilizing, but since (at least here) we will soon be coming up
on its blooming season, you might want to skip a few feedings -- too much
nitrogen can interfere with blooming.

Hope this helps,

Having lost my prize R. gigantea - Thanks Kenni. I probably did
not keep it moist enough.

Sue -
I think Kenni is on to something with the fertilizer. I was
going to ask if the unbloomed had ever had a rest from it.
Sometimes, especially when they grow good and look great, they do
not bloom because the plant is too focused on growing the lush
greenery.

As to the Phals - have they been "misted" with the Vanda group?
This is one plant group you want to keep dry leaves on. If you
still have any leaves put them in a warm shady spot and water
with hydrogen peroxide. Gently and keep them a bit on the dry
side. If there is any new growth in the center it will come. If
not you may get a keiki (baby) from the side of the mother plant
or even just the root ball.

SuE
Old 20-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Kenni Judd

We have grown them both ways, and they do "OK" bare in the basket, with
daily watering [2x/day in the hottest parts of summer], but they do much
better potted -- potted plants from the same batch are 2x the size of the
ones in baskets ... Unfortunately, all that weight makes for expensive
shipping -- probably not a concern for you, but something we are always
mindful of.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 20-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Susan Jeffrey

Kenni
I have two giganteas. One is in an open basket and I keep it under one
of the misters. It gets misted for a minute or two every half hour. The
roots seem to be chunky and healthy. The other I have in a basket filled
with charcoal chunks. it gets watered less frequently and is happier -
but I've had it much longer. I always thought their need for water was
going to be less than that of Vanda/ or even its sib, coelestis becasue
ofthe thicker leaves and heavier substance roots. But I guess I guessed
wrong. Off to put more medium in the baskets! Unfotunately I cannot
imagine getting them into pots at this stage - long roots and many roots
adhereing to the wood slats.
Sue Jeffrey

Kenni Judd wrote:

We have grown them both ways, and they do "OK" bare in the basket, with
daily watering [2x/day in the hottest parts of summer], but they do much
better potted -- potted plants from the same batch are 2x the size of the
ones in baskets ... Unfortunately, all that weight makes for expensive
shipping -- probably not a concern for you, but something we are always
mindful of.

RE Rhynchostylis gigantea question Bob Walsh Orchids 1 08-05-2008 03:37 PM
Rhynchostylis coelestis from basket to pot Steve Weaver Orchids 1 23-05-2006 06:49 AM
Rhynchostylis gigantea samaki Orchids 24 25-02-2004 12:18 PM
Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions mg Orchids 0 08-12-2003 04:13 AM
Rhynchostylis care questions Sarah Huff Orchids 20 02-12-2003 11:12 AM