Old 19-11-2003, 03:12 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Planting density & driftwood, lighting (Newbie)

My 10g, has the standard light strip that came with the hood, nothing
special, although I'm building a DIY hood for a 2 strip setup, giving 3 WPG,
which may be too much... can you say DIY CO2??? In my 10, there are 2
different crypts, red and green, lots of java fern, some sunset hygro that I
have to thin every other day, and even green tiger lotus, that nobody said
would live, but it is.... not sure how... I've put a piece of driftwood in
there, but it's so grown up, you can't see it anymore, and I hardly ever get
to see fish, because it's so grown over.... there are some pics over in the
binaries group... In this tank, I wanted to go with Blue Rams, but they
passed on due to bad acclimation from long transport... so I ended up using
Onyx sand, not sugar crystal sized, but smaller than gravel....

My 29g has 65W of 6500k PCF lights, running only 10hrs a day to control some
hair algae that formed when old lights went south.... supplemented with
CO2...In this tank, I consider it my favorite tank, but it's got Flourite in
it, and it's great....

Good luck, I was rambling, and will help, just had too much caffeeeene
today!!!!

"JHudson" wrote in message
Hi
Thanks for the response. Generally the plants the LFS brings in isn't

that
big. I was thinking of adding a few more Java Fern, but as this is my

first
attempt at a planted tank, maybe I'll leave it at those numbers. How much
lighting does your 10gallon have? I think mine will be around
1.5watts/gallon,(need to get the new light strip yet), which from what I
have read is very low light.
I would love to do my 20 gallon as well, but I'll have to wait until my
crayfish passes on, that creature wrecks plastic plants and unearths them.
That would be a nightmare in a planted tank I'm sure!
What tests do you recommend for a planted tank or even just a plain fish
tank? I haven't tested since I first started the tanks. There are lots

pick from and I don't know if they are worth the money.
The driftwood right now would have to store bought as everything is under
snow, but to find something I like.... I did see one that I liked, but it
was fake.
Now to decide if I want laterite or flourite...

--
JHudson
Sure. Fine. Whatever. -Syzygy

"RedForeman ©®" wrote:
all depend on the size of the individual plant...

I have what you mention in ten gallon, and that's a dense planting...

What you mention is a great assortment, and just remember to NOT get a
common pl*costamus, because they grow to be WAY too big, and will uproot
your plants...

get a dwarf pl*co instead....

You can use any kind of actual driftwood, bogwood, or anything store

bought.
Clean it, soak it, boil it, and then put it in a bucket for 24-48hrs and
test the water to see what differences it will make... Then when you're
done there, you can bake it, and put it in the tank after its cooled

off...