Old 20-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Dunter Powries

Default Plant problems

Ross Vandegrift wrote in message
m...
On 2003-11-20, Dave Millman wrote:
My 20Gal long tank, with 2wpg, had something happen to it a few
months ago. My plants stopped growing well.

IT sounds like you havea 20W bulb on there. Standard flourescent bulbs

last
6-12 months before output drops significantly. This is the most obvious
thing to check.

It's a twin 20W flourescent bulb. Is this really the case? I've read
it around the groups plenty of times, but I never really believed it.
I'd put these bulbs at around two years old. I think I have some spares
- I'll swap them in and see how things go.

Two 20w bulbs over a 20g *long* should count as better than 2wpg because of
the shallowness of the tank.

Interestingly (IMO, anyway), of all the big and small tanks I've had, my 20g
long is the only one I've had persistent problems with, both with the twin
20w's and a single cf over it. I've lost track of how many times over the
years I've broken it down and started over. Just coincidence, I'm sure.