Old 20-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Susan Jeffrey

Default Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions

Kenni
I have two giganteas. One is in an open basket and I keep it under one
of the misters. It gets misted for a minute or two every half hour. The
roots seem to be chunky and healthy. The other I have in a basket filled
with charcoal chunks. it gets watered less frequently and is happier -
but I've had it much longer. I always thought their need for water was
going to be less than that of Vanda/ or even its sib, coelestis becasue
ofthe thicker leaves and heavier substance roots. But I guess I guessed
wrong. Off to put more medium in the baskets! Unfotunately I cannot
imagine getting them into pots at this stage - long roots and many roots
adhereing to the wood slats.
Sue Jeffrey

Kenni Judd wrote:

We have grown them both ways, and they do "OK" bare in the basket, with
daily watering [2x/day in the hottest parts of summer], but they do much
better potted -- potted plants from the same batch are 2x the size of the
ones in baskets ... Unfortunately, all that weight makes for expensive
shipping -- probably not a concern for you, but something we are always
mindful of.