Old 06-02-2003, 12:24 AM
JimS.

Default Is it too soon to fertilize?

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:24:25 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

I'm in Seattle. Our nighttime lows aren't generally getting any less

than
about 40, and daytime highs around 50. All my established roses are
starting to sprout bud eyes. Is it too soon to fertilize yet? I know I
don't want to fertilize the ones I just planted, but what about the ones
that have been in? Some of them didn't even really go dormant all

winter?

Hi Jim,

Yes it is too early to fertilize in Seattle. You have a lot of cold
gray days ahead, don't you?

Well, YEAH, but that lasts till MAY!....I can't wait THAT long!

I have a gardener friend who lives in Wallingford who doesn't start

anything until March at the earliest.
In general you can start fertilizing when your leaves have popped out
and opened up, AND there is no more danger of frost.

We've had about ONE frost all winter. I think the danger of that is
essentially past. It doesn't really get that cold here, believe it or not,
just wet. But the leaves aren't out yet. So if I need to wait till the
leaves are all out, it'll be a couple more weeks, I guess.

JimS.
Seattle