Old 22-11-2003, 07:32 PM
NetMax

Default Driftwood question

"JHudson" wrote in message
news:hEavb.67809$1K.28916@edtnps84...
I'm in the process of planning/setting up a low-light planted aquarium.

As
I will be having Java fern and moss in the aquarium I would like to put

it
on driftwood. Do I have to use real driftwood or can I use the resin
imitation stuff? I am having trouble finding a piece or two that I
like.(I'm in Canada, not as many options) If its better to use the

real
stuff can I get the reasons why?
Thanks

--
JHudson

The only down side to using real wood is it might: i) leech too much
tannins, ii) rot and/or iii) begin a mould/fungal growth. Without java
moss growing on it, it's easy to pull the piece out and clean or discard
it. Artificial wood would not suffer from rot, tannins or be likely to
attract mould/fungal growth.

The up side is that the tannins are usually desirable, and the wood
naturally softens the water. Natural wood is always unique and is like a
piece of artwork which you will spend hours looking at. Where you live,
you might have very good access to natural driftwood and then just boil
it (if possible) and attach it to a piece of slate. With a canoe, (a
measuring tape, a chainsaw, and a hacksaw) - and a few hours of checking
natural coastline, you might be able to bring home a chunk of wood which
would easily cost you over $100 in an LFS.

NetMax