Old 23-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default D. kingianum

To answer your question about size. They can become huge. I've seen D.
Kingianums in pots more then 40cm wide and that is nothing compared to what
they can get. You don't have to remove the keiki's, why not just leave them
on? they will keep on growing and eventualy you can pull them off as nice
sized plants.
About repotting. I've been told they like a cramped pot. They don't like too
much room. Also they make keiki's easely and these keiki's can flower on
their own if they have enough roots. Mine did in februari and are making new
flower spikes now.
In good conditions these plants can double in size every year.

Cheers
Peter

"tbell" schreef in bericht
Thanks very much. I appreciated your earlier essay on culture, and

this
advice will help me deal with more specific and immediate questions.
I will repot after flowering, because the plant will certainly need

more
room. How big do they get?
Is there a reason to remove the keikis other than for propagation?
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

From: (WNeptune)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: 22 Nov 2003 23:33:11 GMT
Subject: D. kingianum

From: tbell
Date: Sat, Nov 22, 2003 5:28 PM
OK, just to fill the vacuum, here's a new one: My D. kingianum is
crammed very tightly in a 1 gal plastic pot, where it's been in a bark

mix
for about 18 months. The majority of the new growth consists of very
vigorous keikis, many with the buds of further growth on them.
Questions: 1) Should the plant be re-potted into a larger pot? 2) Is the
new growth from the keikis likely to bloom, or should I remove some or

all
of them?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

No need to repot until after flowering.
No need to remove keikis until after flowering, and leaving them on will
increase the number of flowers.
The buds on the keikis are most likely flower buds, as new growth

usually does
not start until after flowering.
After flowering remove all keikis, and pot up the plant and do not

disturb the
roots any more than necessary-assuming the plant is now filling the pot

and
will need room for new growth.

Wilford Neptune