Old 23-11-2003, 09:02 AM
martin

Default herb fennel

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:01:58 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:05:41 GMT, "Mike Tickle"
wrote:

Now that we are past the good weather I am unsure what to do with my herb
fennel.

The Italians think it is an aphrododisiac, because of it's shape.

Do I just leave it and hope it re-grows in spring? Do I cut it
back? If so how much?

It is also attracting a load of greenfly

and Italians?

My when my sister was at the University of Pisa she caused much
merriment in a shop when she asked for fennel by name - fenoccio - she
was told later that there are several vegetables a lady never asks for
by name. Fenoccio is one (in certain localities), and there it is slang
for a nancy-boy.

I found out in a similar manner. There's a small town near Frascati,
that I mispronounced as fenoccio. I don't think it's slang for a
nancy-boy in Rome, it's more to do with female parts.
--
Martin