Old 06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Theo Asir

Default Black Red Rose problem

two things I can think of.

First the rose may just be loosing its vigor.
Some grafted roses tend to get gnarly as
the years go by and less active.

this is a common problem
with the "Peace" roses available now.
(Among others)

Second the roses need to be pruned.
Roses occasionally benefit from a thorough
pruning to 3-6" stalks. This gets rid of
old woody growth and forces them to
put out new canes that tend to have a lot more vigor.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Robert S. Martin" wrote in message
Hello,

I have several burgandy velvet rose plants in my rose beds which have a
peculiar problem.

They produce a dozen roses in one go. But they have only a few green
leaves - sometimes about 5 to 10 leaves or less on a plant which is

already
50cm tall. They are not young plants and I have had them in my garden for
over 5 summers.

They get full sun 12+ hours a day.

I fertilize them and they get regular watering.

What is the problem?

Cheers!!